Monday, March 31, 2008

Carnitas El Paisa

Click pic for larger image



Carnitas El Paisa
3529 W Fullerton Ave
Chicago, IL 60647
Taken by Splotchy 03/24/2008



There have been a couple occasions where I have come across signage that attempts to use negative space, but doesn't achieve the intended aesthetic effect.

Early on I took a picture of the Calphalon Culinary Center on West Washington in Chicago, which had some nice blue backlighting, but wasn't bright enough for me to include on this blog. It just seemed too faint to me, I guess.

I am deciding today that even if a sign is not a shining example of negative space signage, I'm still going to include it, if there was an intent of the signmaker to make use of negative space. So, look forward to a picture of Caphalon in the near future.

For this post we look at the sign of the restaurant Carnitas El Paisa. It really doesn't display as your classic negative space sign, but there definitely was an attempt to make it one.

The second picture shows the neon tubing concealed behind the sign's letters.

No comments: